We have adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The NPPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information. To see the full text of the APPs online, you can visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at: https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/the-privacy-act/
- What sort of personal information is collected and stored;
- How information is collected and used;
- What happens if you choose not to provide the required information; and
- How you can request access to the personal information we hold about you.
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual. Examples of Personal Information we collect includes names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers.
This Personal Information is obtained in many ways including correspondence, by telephone, by email, via our website, via our social media, from your website, from your social media, from media and publications, from other publicly available sources, from cookies from third parties. We don’t guarantee website links or policy of authorised third parties.
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you, providing information to our clients and marketing. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing.
When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
- supply of our services and products to you in accordance with our Terms and Conditions and any agreement entered into with you, to facilitate, process, carry out and respond to your request;
- to our third party service providers to assist us in providing and improving our services and products to you and developing, improving and marketing our services and products to you;
- for regulatory reporting and compliance with our legal obligations, to various regulatory bodies and law enforcement officials and agencies to protect against fraud and for related security purposes;
- to the seller or supplier of any products to you for the purpose of ascertaining and obtaining any information required to perform our services for you;
- to identify you and conduct appropriate checks or verifications, including credit checks;
- set up, administer and manage our services and products and systems, including the management and administration of an account;
- to train and develop our staff and service providers to better provide services to you;
- to contact you; and
- to our successors and/or assigns.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
We will not charge any fee for your access request but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information, we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.